Monday, June 25, 2012

Our Weather Luck Continues

We beat a major rain storm into Chincoteague Island this afternoon completing a 75 actual riding miles day which brought our total since Father's Day to more than 800. I say actual because we cheated leaving Virginia Beach this morning, stacking the bikes into the van and driving to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel on which we were not allowed to ride anyways. So, if you are keeping score at home, add another 36 miles to the day's total.
Being an early bird, I was able to capture the sunrise on Virginia Beach before 6 a.m. and then here on the island, I captured sunset around 8:30. In between we saw pods of dolphins swimming close to shore, wild horses in the marsh lands here on the island and Diane saw a couple of Baltimore Orioles (and here I thought they were playing in Yankee Stadium tonight).
As for the ride, Bobbie said Roy is watching over us as again the prevailing wind was at our back and we cruised along for a couple of hours at 18 plus mph. When you are eating up miles at a good clip, it makes the day a lot shorter and easier.
Most of the ride was on Hwy. 13 which is a divided, 4-lane highway and for a majority of the 65 miles we were on it, the shoulder was extremely wide so Bobbie was able to hop-scotch with us all morning, going up about 5-7 miles and waiting for us and then repeating it again and again.
She stopped in one place adjacent to a SunTrust bank and Diane was happy because she had to take care of some banking business and her bank is, drum roll please, SunTrust. We were also able to fax Alicia the turn by turn directions we will use when we get to Manhattan on Friday.
I can't believe that we will be in New Jersey tomorrow afternoon. New Jersey!! Of course that is after we knock out Virginia in the first 15 minutes of our ride, then Maryland and Delaware before we hop on our next to last ferry ride of the journey.
A friend wrote and asked how I was doing because he knows I have not gone more than 9 straight days of riding before and tomorrow is day 10. I said my legs are good, my conditioning is good, even my shoulders are not locked up if you can believe it after being hunched over the handlebars for as long as I have been since last Sunday.
But without going into much detail, my left pinky is numb and has little or no feeling in it (no clue except to think I apply too much pressure on my left hand in the wrong spot) and the place which is in constant contact with the seat needs major attention. Did I say major attention? More than that.


Sunrise on Virginia Beach a couple of minutes before we spotted the pod of dolphins. The ocean, as you can see, was really calm.



Sunset (below) over the only road in or out of the island.

And the opportunity to take a solo shot against a field of wild flowers presented itself on a rest stop in Virginia (bottom picture)

No comments:

Post a Comment