Tuesday, June 26, 2012

4 States in One Day

It's a good thing the portions of Maryland and Delaware we passed through were small otherwise we wouldn't have been able to make it into New Jersey today after departing Virginia around 7:30 this morning. That's four states in one day and another 85 miles behind us.
We were pressed for time all day today because there was a strong headwind from the north at more than 18 mph which slowed our pace to under 14 all day. At first, we were shooting for the 12:45 ferry from Delaware to Cape May, NJ but that quickly was jettisoned because of the strong wind.
Another hour later and I was having second thoughts about making the 2:45 ferry because we were not going anywhere fast today.
Finally, with 9 miles to go and 66 minutes to get to the boat, Diane loaded her bike in the car and I set off on my own trying to make the departure.
All day, I have a real-time GPS going on my phone so those who are following on line can see the progress I am making. It also provides me a road map of where I am and gives me an idea of how much farther it is to my next landmark. However, my battery died at the wrong time and I had no clue as to my location and if I was going to make departure.
After much effort, I pulled into the parking lot of the ferry about 10 minutes before they loaded.
When we got to the other side, I became a little watery in the eyes as our friend from Miami -- Martina -- and her family were waiting on the Jersey side of the ferry with a sign that read, Go Marty Florida to Maine. I was humbled by that and really appreciated the gesture.
Instead of riding for another 2 hours, we sat and had a drink with her at the dock. Did I say I was touched by their gesture?
Anyway, because of the time spent sitting, Diane and I only rode another 45 minutes and while it didn't get us to OceanCity, we figured we had a full day.
Tomorrow, my brother is meeting us in Lakehurst, not too far from where the Hindenburg Blimp exploded during a storm some 60 years ago or more. My brother used to work at that airfield.
 Martina with her sign -- so appreciated and so thoughtful.







And after more than 850 miles and 10 days on the road, we are in New Jersey.

1 comment:

  1. It was great to see you guys! The boys were impressed by what you do. Thank you for your kind words. Ride safe!

    ReplyDelete