Sunday, June 3, 2012

The Last Long Practice Run

Good day on the roads today -- the metro police pulled over the big group which gives all of the cyclists a bad name in the community and ticketed them for running a stop sign. Had to be 50 cyclists who when they make a loop on Key Biscayne continually ignore the stop sign, blow through it and then take up both lanes of the westbound traffic going back to the mainline. Motorists and cyclists are at odds with each other, as is usually the case all over.
But I got in 81 miles on a beautiful, hot day, going to Key Biscayne first and then south almost to Bayfront Park in Homestead. Caught a small group of about 8 riders this morning and sped up to 29.7 to ride in their draft for about 6 miles. Boy that felt good.
What didn't feel good was the last four miles when I was out of food and on my last bottle of water. But on the ride in two weeks, I won't have that problem so while I am a bit fatigued right now, I think I'll be ready to go.
Now it is maintenance -- Tuesday and Thursday rides are 50 miles and then next weekend I will stay at the same mileage. No more long rides until 120 or so from Jacksonville to Richmond Hill, Ga., near Savanah on Father's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment