Monday, June 18, 2012

Another Day, Another State

You can mark off Georgia along with Florida if you are keeping score at home. Two states in two days -- can't get better than that.
After an overnight in Richmond Hill, Ga., about 20 miles from Savannah, our ride today was supposed to be 80 miles to Walterboro, SC., but somehow we couldn't find the road we were supposed to take and finished with 93 miles today.
But it was a great day. On one stretch of road, a motorist pulled up behind Bobbie and read the banner on the back of the van. Bobbie waved her around but she didn't go. Instead she pulled up next to Bobbie, who pulled off to the side, and she handed her $2. She said she has a lot of cancer in her family.
We are getting a lot of people reading the banner, which again I have to mention was donated by Paul Klugerman from Sign-A-Rama in Kendall next to Bankok Bankok. And after they read it, they pass Bobbie and beep their horns as they pass Diane and myself.
Diane has been the steady rider maintaining her pace the entire day. Sometimes I find myself a couple of hundred yards ahead and have to slow down more for safety than other reason. When cars pass the van, they see Diane but sometimes don't realize there is another rider ahead. So to be safe, I try to maintain a closer distance.
Late in the day today, we rode under a complete canopy of oak trees and Spanish Moss for a couple of miles. Terrific because the sun was hot today.
We passed a place in Georgia that carves totem poles like in Vancouver and then passed a house with old gas station signs plastered on the outside walls. Let's see if you remember Dino the Dinosaur, Flying A and Esso. They were there.
Tuesday we actually are going to stay in state with another 100 miler scheduled to Georgetown. Heavy miles to start but we have had zero elevation change, unless you count overpasses elevation changes. But we have had some good downhill run outs for half a mile or so when you can just coast down.
Our trip so far has gone over or under I-95 a bunch of times and our hotel tonight sits just on the west side of the interstate. We passed over I-16 in Georgia and won't see another interstate highway after leaving the hotel tomorrow morning until Virginia.
Surprisingly, we both feel strong and Bobbie enjoys the drive. The GPS I have on my phone gives me the map and location of where I am and Bobbie has the turn by turn directions. So, when things get a bit tricky with numerous turns, I call up the map, get BObbie's directions and can see when the next turn is going to be. Great system.
And so far, a great ride.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoy checking your progress. Thank you for including so many details, I feel like I am riding along with you. Go, Marty, go!
    :-) michelle (gross) zeppieri

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi
    Way to go...
    we are sure Roy is providing "the wind at back".
    Very proud of you all.
    Good Luck
    xoxo
    David and Shelley

    ReplyDelete