Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Best Day Yet

Where does one start to describe the fantastic day we had today going from Georgetown to Wilmington, N.C.?
Do we start with Andy who we found riding near Myrtle Beach who joined us for about 10 miles? Or do we bring in Andy McVey, an attorney here in Wilmington who came to the Hilton and then took the three of us to dinner because, he said, "we were rock stars."
Maybe we should talk about Tanya and Roy Walton who wanted to know who was parked in their driveway looking all hot and bothered and then donated $50 when they found out what we were doing.
Should we mention the lady who flagged down Diane right when we got to the NOrth Carolina border and handed her money for the cause?
Or should we talk about Pat at Massage Envy who took my weary body, had a couple of snap, crackle and pops come out of my shoulders and turned me into mush.
Why don't we start at the start.
The Hampton Inn in Georgetown is a terrific place to stay right on the water and adjacent to a terrific restaurant. We left there at 7:40 this morning with a 101 mile day scheduled.
Diane was strong from the start, recovered from dehydration. Today she was able to draft most of the day which saved her probably 20% or more in energy. She was so strong that late in the day, when the wind was from the back and the surging traffic in the next lane caused a suction in front of us, we actually held 18 and above for a good 25 minutes. And that, my friends, eats up the mileage.
Anyway, when we got to Murrells Inlet I saw a group of cyclists on the other side of the road and I invited them to come along. Andy, from Jacksonville, joined us and then met the rest of his family at the fire station.
During the ride, Bobbie received a call from Andy the attorney who said he wanted to take us to dinner. He has been in contact with the MMRF and he wanted to do something to help since his father died from the same disease in the mid 90s. What a great humble guy he is. Sorry we didn't have more time to spend with him because it was already 7 when we met and I had an appointment at 8:15 at Massage Envy. But we had time to eat Italian and it was great fun to be with him. Like I said, wish I had more time to talk more with him. (A special shout-out to Alicia at MMRF for the hookup; my kids will just go bonkers when they read all of the latest and greatest terms they use which I never did before).
So now, it is a bit before 11 p.m. and we are sitting in a bar/laundry a couple of blocks from the hotel. We decided that if we don't wash some stuff, we might as well burn it because the smell will never come out. Doing the wash in a sink and drying in the bathtub with a fan just doesn't make it. My biking jerseys were in desperate need of a solid cleaning -- or being made part of the landfill.
Tomorrow is a short day -- 93 miles as we approach the ferry to Ocracoke and Cape Hatteras which comes up Friday.
I can't tell you how many drivers read the banner on the back of the van (did I already give a special shout out to Paul Klugerman and Sign-a-Rama on Kendall Drive who donated it?) and then drive by beeping their horn and giving us a thumbs up. I don't know, maybe it is because I'm used to Miami drivers, but when I hear a car horn and look up, I expect to see another finger pointed in my direction.
So after 4 days, we have finished off 3 states, more than 400 miles and right now I feel great. Looking toward the Outer Banks when the mileage drops for a couple of days so we can enjoy the area.
That is Diane, Andy from Jacksonville and Marty in Murrell Inlet. He was out riding for fun when I asked him to join us.

1 comment: