Sunday, March 25, 2012

The First 100 Isn't Bad

The day started out calm and cool. The speed was good as the lead pack tore away from the starting area and kept a crisp pace of 23-25 for the first hour. The Everglades Ride was underway this morning at 7:30 and for the first 30 miles, I was able to average more than 20 mph. with a top speed of 25 as the group had a long straightaway and opened the throttle a bit.
But by 10 when the winds started to pick up from the west and our ride headed west toward the Cheika portion of the Everglades, I was drifting alone at 12 wondering where everyone went?
But the last 50 miles was with a group of about 12 from the leukemia association down here and we pulled in at the finish line after a riding time of 6 hours and 20 minutes. It was a radio station distance. You know, 102.2 on your dial? That was the official mileage and only the third time I have eclipsed 100 miles in one ride.
To say I am numb from the waist down is an understatement. My shoulders are surprisingly not as sore as I thought they would be but my legs are dead. And so is my a-- , rear end.
Probably have another century this Saturday as I might meet some riders heading to the keys from Sebring and I might ride with them to Key Largo.
But I am excited about riding with my brother who is coming into town Monday afternoon only for a couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment