Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Reflections On The Journey

Bobbie keeps asking me if what I just accomplished had sunk in as yet and my response has been the same -- I don't feel like I've done anything except ride my bicycle from point A to point B. Just because point A was in Florida and point B was in Maine doesn't necessarily mean I've done anything other people couldn't do as well.
When I first thought about doing the ride, I was on the phone with Roy and told him, point blank, that when he dies, I was going to ride my bike to raise money for the Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation. I had the kind of relationship with him that I could just about say anything I wanted and he knew exactly what I meant. He said, "thanks alot for writing me off already."
My response was that I was not writing him off, his life was no where near the end and that he was going to beat the disease. In fact, when Pam set up a Caring Bridge web site to distribute daily information to everyone about Roy's condition, my job was to keep him laughing, to get his mind off the battle he was going against. Granted the laughter was only for a couple of minutes each day, but it was something that I could do, that I was good at and I know he appreciated it very much.
Then I started telling people about my idea and the more I told, the harder it was for me to back out. Then I started this blog, contacted the MMRF, told my riding buddies in Miami about it and next thing you know, Father's Day, 2012 was upon us and off we went on the first leg into Georgia.
It's all a big blur now -- Georgia melted into South Carolina and North Carolina was the same until we got to the Outer Banks. Then it was into Virginia and quickly thereafter I was departing the ferry in Cape May, NJ to a raucous crowd consisting of Martina and her family with a sign welcoming me.
Diane and I looked at each other and said, can you believe we rode our bikes to New Jersey? The same was said each day as we entered another northern state and look at that, there's the Nubble Lighthouse in York, Me., and Alicia from the MMRF greeting us with a bunch of friends and family.
My friend Jeff in Pittsburgh is a long-time cyclist and he wrote to us often while on the ride. He said this is a life changing experience and that remains to be seen. I know I came across so many people who went out of their way to donate (remember the lady who stopped us and gave us $2 and Neill on the ferry to New York who gave $500?), to take us to dinner (Andy McVey in North Carolina), to ride with us (thank you Carmen, Mike, Diane, Dolores, Cristina, Chris and Wayne as well as Alicia, Betsy, the University of Miami graduate who's name escapes me at this moment and his friend).
Carmen and Jean are two multiple myeloma patients, each fighting to keep healthy and to beat back this disease which I didn't even know existed two years ago. Carmen rode just 3 miles with us the day we left for New York but she will continue to inspire me to make the most of every day I have left on this planet. As for Jean, wow, what can I say. I rode with Mike, her husband, on the ride into Maine and I learned the entire story of how she was diagnosed and how she is coping with it, especially when you consider she has two sets of twins, ages 12 and 9.
Jean says I inspire her -- maybe so. But she is just like Carmen, fighting to make the most of each of her days. Those two, I promise, will be a part of my life for a long time and I know we will stay in touch not only through this summer, but for many summers to come.
Today, July 4th, Diane has already flown home to Orlando and is getting back into her routine, which, unfortunately, calls for her to start looking for a new career after her position was terminated a couple of months back. After close to 3 weeks of driving, Bobbie shifted to the passenger seat and today was her day to spend walking the numerous outlet stores in Kittery. It was a far cry from going from point A to point B, and a lot more fun.
We are heading to the Boston area to see Neil and Ellen, who have the same business up here that Bobbie and I have in South Florida. Then it is to Bristol for a tour of ESPN on Friday before spending the weekend back with my brother and Jill (and more sailing on the river).
By the end of next week, we will be back in our own routine at home and even have our rent-a-dog coming to stay Thursday night (we take care of Allison's dog Madden when we can). Things will be the same -- mow the lawn, take care of the pool, clean the house, book new events and try to work down the debt we've accumulated over the years.
But a couple of things won't be the same: I have a new appreciation for the good health I have and hope to continue to have for many years to come and, sadly, I know now that the ride is concluded, my memory of Roy will start to fade. It is a fact. When both my Mom and Dad passed away, I thought of them many times each day, then it was just once a day, then once a week and so on. It's natural.
Today, I think of my parents and know that what I just accomplished they would be very proud of and that is what makes me happy -- that I continue to do the right things to make my parents proud of me.
PS -- Bobbie will be posting a video of the trip online in the coming weeks so look forward to that and if you haven't had a chance to donate to the MMRF, we would be glad to accept anything you would like to donate. The web site is listed in the heading on this page.
Thank you for reading, contributing and following this ride.
Bobbie and I brought "Roy" along with us the entire way and here we are at the finish.
Roy sent me this lifesize cutout about 15 years ago as his replacement for a new year's eve party we were hosting in Miami. He said he couldn't make it, but would send a suitable replacement. He has been with us stored behind the guest room door for 15 years.

2 comments:

  1. Blessings Marty. Thanks for sharing this life-defining journey with me. It was about the heart. D

    ReplyDelete